Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Semester One Reflection

  • Technology
    One valuable takeaway I learned from this technology is how to operate it; more so, how to operate adobe illustrator. This project was a huge turning point for my relationship with illustrator because before, I barely knew how to make anything good on this program. I dabbled in creating logos and such, but they never turned out well because I didn't fully grasp how to use tools like the pen tool and shortcuts that would've made my life much easier. The only challenge I faced with technology was when illustrator would crash or be slow, which couldn't be helped.
    Collaboration
    Collaboration was really helpful and a necessity when it came to this process. I learned how to collaborate with individuals when I was younger, so being able to implement it nowadays isn't too hard. Before we even started with the project, I was put into a group with one task in hand: to make a schedule for the rest of the semester. My group was super kin and flexible, so creating a schedule and asking them questions wasn't overwhelming. Being able to collaborate was important because it helped put me check and regress my poor time management. It's also important because it helped me stimulate ideas for my patterns, font, and logo. Along the way, the only problem I faced was being able to use all the critiques my peers made (especially because some critiques contradicted others). For instance,
    Communication
    Communication also played a big role during this project. I had to ask my peers for critiques, as well as my teacher. I needed to hear honesty so I could create something much grander than my original idea. I faced no challenges that I know of in this field.
    Project Management
    Project management was something I learned more about this semester. Even though I didn't do it well, I now know that making a calendar and putting myself in check is a life skill I need to have. This was a big problem for me, because even though I had set dates I personally created for myself and dates created by my teacher, I still managed to not be on time with most of my work.
    Leadership
    To be honest, I don't know how this topic was incorporated into this project. The only moment I can think of was when we had the liberty to create a personal schedule with our group, and I ended up making most of the set dates. My and and I mostly kept to ourselves, so there wasn't anyone being the ring leader.
    Strengths
    I'd like to think that I had a at least a few strengths. For instance, I had to recreate the entirety on the inside of my box in a short amount of time and it ended up turning out not too shabby. I'm good under pressure. Also, I'm great with experimenting and trying new things. My original idea didn't happen at all, but the result surpasses what I initially wanted it to be. This all happened because I am eager to try out different colors, shapes, sizes, and ideas.
    Weaknesses
    Now, for weaknesses. For starters, even with the schedule I still managed to miss a lot of important due dates. The reasoning behind the problem is a mix between me working on multiple devices that refused to share files with each other and my chronic procrastination skills I've built up over the past few years. It's especially bad because if something is overdue, I force myself to make the project even better since I'd rather turn in something late and pretty than something ugly but on time.
    What's Next?
    Now that I've learned a lot, I'm eager to apply my new skills on the upcoming project, like for eMagine. I'm going to make a firm schedule for this class so that everyday I get at least one thing done and will finally be on track.
    Lookback
    After looking back at my work and letting it all sink in, there are a bunch of things I would change. For starters, I would definitely change the hero pattern I used for the exterior of my box. Even though it's not the worst and there was potential with it, I don't really like the colors that I chose, the style I went with, and the alignment of all the graphics; it doesn't really match the interior, even though they're over the same topic. Another thing I would have changed is the arrangement of the koi fish, lily pads, and flowers on the interior. I like it for the most part, but I feel like a little bit of shifting would have made it even better. Even tough there's all these things I would've liked to change, I am overall pleased with the outcome and so happy that this was the first project of the year. I learned a lot and grew as an artist from this experience.
    Conclusion
    Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this project and am glad that it took up most of the semester; unlike last year, where we did a lot of mini projects that typically didn't turn out good. I will be more on top of my game, and make sure my projects will be turned in on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment