Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Vector Illustration

Pre-Production
For this assignment, I instantly knew that I wanted to pay homage to my dear sister Ruth; I even knew what picture I wanted use! I chose a radiant picture of her smiling while the hot Chicago sun bouncing off of expose her rich melanin. I decided to go with the more organic approach rather than a geometric one. Because of my need for detail, I decided to posterize the image to the point where lines could be made but a variety of colors were present. In stead of going back and forth through Photoshop and Illustrator, I was advised to make two art boards: one with a lower opacity and the other with full opacity.
Production
I had to redo this project 3 times for multiple reasons. The first time around, I didn't connect a single line, which would later lead to the fill tool having a mental breakdown since there were no shapes to fill. The second time around I created some shapes, however, I connected my new shapes with old shapes aka didn't really make complete shapes. This also led to my fill tool having a mental breakdown. After going through these failures, I was determined to complete all of my shapes and color as I go instead of coloring after I finish creating my shapes. Because I was more skilled with the pen tool, this project didn't really take as much time as I thought it would. I knew exactly what shapes I wanted to create. One of my main problems aside from the shape incidents was figuring out how much the colors should contrast, what colors I should use, and exactly how much detail I wanted in the end. Some design elements I used for this are color, value, and shape.
Conclusion
At first I wasn't, but now I'm very pleased with the final product! I love the amount of flow shapes there are, how the work with each other, and how the illustration genuinely looks like the original. I learned the importance of creating a full shape, and how to balance (skin tone) colors together. If I were to do this project again with this picture, I would experiment and try to see what a more simplistic approach would look like, then I would try to see what a geometric version would look like.




No comments:

Post a Comment